On the biggest shopping day of the year a whole host of brands and customers are coming together to Make Friday Green Again.
Our team have been thinking about the ways we can switch out the black for green this Friday and we’ve come up with our top 10 sustainable Black Friday ideas:
1. Offset a lifetime’s carbon with a Giant Sequoia (https://onelifeonetree.com/)
Plant a Giant Sequoia and offset your lifetime carbon footprint with One Life One Tree’s Sequoia project. The Giant Sequoia can sequest over 1000 tonnes of CO2, more than the average person’s lifetime emissions. One Life One Tree will plant a Giant Sequoia at one of their designated Sequoia Groves in the UK. Buy a tree to offset your own lifetime’s carbon or buy it as a gift for a loved one!
2. Plant your own tree (https://shop.woodlandtrust.org.uk/thebigclimatefightback)
Be part of The Woodland Trust’s Big Climate Fightback and buy your own tree. Plant your very own tree, with free delivery on all Big Climate Fightback trees!
3. Volunteer to help conserve the environment (https://www.tcv.org.uk/getinvolved/volunteering)
Instead of buying something this Friday, why not give your time instead? The Conservation Volunteers undertake a range of activities in both urban and rural areas, from planting trees and wild flower meadows, to building stiles, clearing footpaths or creating new food growing projects.
4. Give an inspiring gift to children around the world (https://market.unicef.org.uk/inspired-gifts/)
Choose an inspiring gift that will help children all around the world this Friday. From a life-saving vaccine pack to a solar powered wind-up radio, why not indulge yourself in feel good Friday by buying something for someone in need?
5. Donate a gift to the homeless this Christmas (https://www.crisis.org.uk/get-involved/donate-gifts-in-kind/)
Pick from a different Christmas list this Friday and donate a gift to the homeless via the Crisis website this Christmas.
6. Buy a unique recycled gift (https://www.rareform.com/)
Still looking to make an exciting purchase this Friday? Choose a sustainable product, like Rareform’s recycled bags and accessories. Rareform makes their bags out of old billboards and they make a genuinely unique gift.
7. Start a zero-waste journey (https://knowtheorigin.com/collections/zero-waste-kits)
Make Green Friday the day to start a zero-waste journey for you or a loved one with a Zero Waste Kit from Know The Origin. From zero-waste shopping kits, to a plastic free bathroom kit, you can go green this Friday with one of these handy kits.
8. Enjoy package free pampering (https://uk.lush.com/plastic-free)
If you’re looking for a treat this Friday then Lush’s plastic free pampering is a great option for indulgence without guilt.
9. Buy local sustainable gifts (https://forgetmenotecoshop.co.uk/)
Buy local, handmade sustainable gifts instead. We love Forget Me Not Eco Shop, local to our offices, for beautiful handmade and sustainable gifts. See if you can find a shop near you and support local businesses.
10. Choose second hand
Preloved items make for great sustainable gifts. Instead of browsing the endless sales this Friday why not visit a few charity shops or have a scroll through ebay for a preloved gem.
We hope you’ve enjoyed our run down of options for a greener Black Friday. If we’ve inspired you to make a change then please tag us in on anything you share, @geogreenpower1 on Twitter, Geo Green Power on Facebook and @geogreen_power on Instagram.
Once Black Friday is over we hope you’ll keep going green, why not make a bigger commitment by installing a renewable energy solution and keep it green every day.