Key Benefits of Commercial Solar
There are significant benefits to be had from investing in solar energy, for businesses both industrial, large and small. With rising energy costs, putting your roof space to good use can be a sensible decision. Many commercial organisations have already realised the huge potential income stream available from solar energy. Simply by utilising the roof space on your commercial premises, agricultural buildings, factories, warehouses, schools or hospitals, you can install solar power generators and start generating solar energy.
Geo Green Power are specialists in large scale commercial solar panel systems for a wide range of commercial sectors, and our expert team has a clear understanding of the needs of businesses. Whether you are looking to cut costs, reduce your carbon footprint or secure your future energy supply, we offer expert commercial solar installations with proven high yielding solar panels.
Cost savings - Solar panels generate free, green electricity during daytime hours that can be used on site, lowering your business demand for energy from the grid and potentially saving thousands of pounds on energy bills.
Solar income - Ideally you would use all the solar power onsite, however any surplus power can be sold to the grid.
Financial stability - With energy prices predicted to sharply rise in the next 10 years, commercial solar panels allow you to effectively forward buy your electricity at a set price, making financial forecasting much easier.
Low risk investment - Solar PV is a reliable and safe investment vehicle that provides returns exceeding those of traditional low risk financial products.
Energy security - With the grid currently struggling to generate significant electricity supply to meet the UK’s growing energy demands, and the government’s recent introduction of mandatory energy audits for large businesses via the Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) and possible future energy usage regulation, independent solar installations are and excellent backup measure.
Lower carbon footprint - Generating your own solar energy will significantly reduce your carbon footprint, increase your company’s sustainable credentials and improve your business reputation.
Got a question about Commercial Solar?
James Cunningham, oversees all of our commercial installations. If you’re interested in understanding what renewable energy can offer your operation contact James today
How much is a solar panel installation for a commercial property?
Every solar project is different, but the cost of an installation is based on the size of the system and the time it takes for us to install. The only other varying factor is where your panels are going to be placed and how easy it is for us to get them there.
The size of your system may be dictated by the amount of roof space you have available or the orientation of your property. If you aren’t limited by what you can install the system size will be determined by your budget, the amount of energy you want to generate and how this will be used, stored or sold back to the grid.
Typical system sizes and costs are:
- 4kW (Residential) – £6,000
- 50kW (Commercial/Farm) – £40,000
- 100kW (Large Commercial) – £75,000
- 250 kW (Commercial) – £150,000
For businesses that choose not to invest capital and are looking for alternative funding options, we can offer advice on your options for financing. Although basic grants for solar panels came to an end in 2010 when the FIT scheme was introduced, some alternative funding options may still be available. Contact us for details.
How long until I can see a return on my investment?
How long until I will see a payback on my solar investment?
What our customers say
What is included in your solar PV installation?
- Surveys, Designs, and Planning – Prior to your installation our team will carry out all necessary surveys, planning applications and secure permissions from your energy supplier for your installation to go ahead.
- PV Panels – your panels will have a 25 year performance warranty as a minimum and will be sourced from a top tier manufacturer. The exact specification of your panel will be determined by your required output and whether you require a specific colour of module. See the types of solar panels we supply for your installation.
- Inverter(s) – These convert the DC power you receive from your solar panels into AC power that your home or business can use. Your installation may require one inverter or a small series which will be decided at your pre-installation survey and will be based on the space available to mount your inverters and the size of the system that we are installing. If you’re a commercial client your inverter will be provided with a 20 year warranty.
- Mounting, rail and/or trays – We will source and specify the correct mounting system to install your panels. There is a mounting system for almost every roof – tiles, slate or metal – and we also provide in-roof systems for new builds and projects that involve a re-roof. If you have opted for a ground mount system we will specify, source and erect your frame as part of your installation. The mounting system and roof type is one of the main variables in installation cost.
- Electrical Installation (Insurance backed through NICEIC) – our fully trained electricians will install all the required electrical equipment including cabling and string controllers to connect your panels and inverters and AC & DC isolators which can turn off the power if required. The installation also includes the AC supply which connects the invertor to the existing electrical generator and a generation meter which records the amount of electricity your installation is generating. Our team can carry out additional electrical works if required.
- Scaffolding & Access – If your installation is roof mounted, it will require a temporary scaffold and access equipment; and it may also require internal netting. It is very important to us that our team remains safe on site at all times and working with the correct safety and access equipment is paramount. The access requirements for your site are one of the main variables in terms of project cost.
- Miscellaneous – Customers may require structural assessments, detailed CAD drawings or schematics which can all be arranged as part of your project. We also support remote monitoring, which allows you to view the generation of your installation via an app and see how your system is performing.
We recommend an annual service to ensure that your systems remains in full working order and that you maximise your investment.
The good news is that if planning permission does need to be sorted, we can provide full assistant or complete applications on your behalf to ensure the process is as quick and easy as possible.
However, there are important limits and conditions that must be met in order to benefit from these permitted development rights, including:
- A roof mounted solar installation must not protrude more than 200mm, unless it is a flat roof installation where the solar PV must be less than 1m above the highest part of the flat roof.
- A roof mounted solar installation must be further than 1m away from the edge of the roof or wall joint. For AONB or similarly restricted locations, the panels must not be on the roof slope or wall facing the road.
- Solar installations should be sited so as to minimise their effect on the external appearance of the property and the amenity of the area, while unused equipment should be removed as soon as possible.
Planning permission will be required if your solar PV system is intended for installation on a listed building or a site designated as a scheduled ancient monument or world heritage site.
Geo Green Power will be on hand to advise on any planning requirements for small, large or bespoke installations. If permission does needs to be sought, we can provide full assistance in completing applications and supplying any information requested by the local planning authority to ensure the process is as quick and easy as possible.
Large Scale Commercial Solar Projects
At Geo Green Power we can provide turnkey solution when installing your large scale solar panel project. Experience has taught us that large-scale projects demand specific knowledge injection and planning. We would, therefore, encourage you to involve us as early as possible.
If required, we can also work alongside architects, lead contractors and building consultants. Whether you are considering an industrial or single site installation of significant size (e.g. 300+ square metres) or the installation of many smaller systems across a number of sites as part of a rolling project, we will gladly discuss your commercial, farm or office solar project and provide ideas and inspiration.
A few of our recent projects
At Geo Green Power, we understand the business requirement for a single point of contact to manage and maintain your contract, and we are experienced at delivering a complete service where each step is known, planned for and advised in advance, so that little or no disruption is caused to your operations. We are fully aware that quality and price will be the main drivers in your decision making process.
Get in Touch Today
For further information and advice regarding commercial solar panels and large scale solar power business projects, we would be delighted to be of assistance. Contact Geo Green Power for free on 0800 988 3188
or fill in the online enquiry form to request a quote, survey or a brochure.